1- A new book "Federalism in Greek Antiquity"

 At the moment I am attending to a course of Greek History at the Univ. Of Trento. I've never imagined I was going to find it so interesting. We are now focusing on the efficiency of federalist arrangements in Ancient Greek to moderate conflict in interstate relations. Of course we needed to check and redefine the concepts of federalism, state, political conflict to fit the context of Ancient Greek and even if it might have seemed awkward at the beginning, it turned to be very stimulating.




In 2005 I specialized on Federalism at the Institute of Federalism in Fribourg in Swizerland and Federalism was being considered an instrument to handle Ethnic Conflict. It had worked in managing the end of the war in the Balkans and it was being applied in Irak after the war in 2003. At that moment it was impossible to imagine that the mix of federalism and ethnicity was going to arrive to Ancient Greek Studies.
Now, I have just received a very appealing book titled “Federalism in Greek Antiquity” Edited by Hans Beck and Peter Funke (2015 Cambridge University Press) that contains an article by J.Hall titled “Federalism and ethnicity”. I haven't read it yet and it probably includes an interesting perspective to understand the Greek world, but somehow it suggested me that ethnicity became an overexploited category and we are not able to move forward the Nation-State concept.
I am open to new concepts and ideas.

Commenti